Injury is part of cycling sport. Prevention of cycling injuries is a big task for every cyclist. Although cycling is a convenient type of transport with a very low impact on the environment. It improves our physical and mental health. It is a very enjoyable physical activity with all the ages. But due to incorrect riding posture and demanding too much of your body can lead to a variety of cycling-related injuries. Although some injuries are impossible to avoid, there are some things every cyclist can do to prevent injuries. Every cyclist should try to avoid the Prevention of cycling injuries. Below are a few lists of a few Prevention of cycling injuries.
Numb toes during cycling
Due to increase blood supply-demand by leg muscle during cycling, toes can get numb. Numb toes during cycling can also happen due to wearing tight shoes, or due to too much climbing which puts continuous pressure on legs. The best way for the prevention of cycling injuries of numb toes you can check below.
How to reduce numb toes during cycling:
- Adjust your shoes.
- Stay Dry
- Check the position of toes while climbing.
Pain in the wrist or hands might be due to carpal tunnel syndrome. The earliest sign of a hand injury is numbness in the hand fingers. It is a common injury among cyclists. The carpel tunnel is a small space at the base of your wrist. The best way for the prevention of cycling injuries of numb toes you can check below.
To prevent or reduce hand injuries:
- The wrist should be kept straight.
- Use gloves to reduce vibration.
- Check grip for handlebars. The grip should be firm yet relaxed.
- The position should be changed frequently.
Lower back pain during cycling
Lower back pain is a weak link for many riders. Cyclists usually develop strong leg muscles, but don’t always have the strength to support and resist the force from the legs. Due to this your back work too hard causing fatigue.
To prevent lower back pain:
- Get into the habit of keeping your back straight during rides. This will improve your riding and ease the pain.
Shoulder pain during cycling
Having your bicycle handle too long or too short can hurt the shoulder. Injury to the shoulder usually occurs during longer rides. If too much weight is placed on hands and riding with straight elbows can cause the injury.
How to prevent
- The saddle should not be uncomfortable.
- Keep the handlebar with the correct size.
- keep the elbows slightly flexed
Sitting on a bicycle in an awkward position or uncomfortable position for a longer period can cause neck pain during cycling. Neck pain during cycling is due to improperly positioned on the bicycle.
How to prevent
- Fix your posture
- Make your bicycle fit with your body
What can be done
- Apply heat or ice to the painful area.
- Do slow range-of-motion exercises, up and down, side to side, and from ear to ear.
- Avoid jerks and keep moving.
Knee Injuries due to cycling
Mostly knee injuries pain from Patellofemoral pain syndrome. It mostly occurs due to the overuse of cycling or also due to a cyclist riding too fast. Also, saddle height plays an important role. The saddle should not be too high or too low,
To prevent or remedy knee injuries:
- Slowly build up your strength through training to minimize strain on the knees,
- Adjust saddle height so you have almost straightened your knee with the ball of your foot over the pedal axle at its lowest position.
- Increase hard training slowly.
- Switch to lower gears whenever you can. Pedaling in high gear for a long time will stress your knee joints.
Muscle tightness due to cycling
Muscle tightness due to cycling usually occurs due to damage to muscular fibers. Proper rest after long rides help to recover muscles. It can also occur due to increase blood flow to a particular muscle.
How to prevent:
- Always warm-up before you get on the bike and cool down when you’re done.
- Stretch so your muscles are flexible. Use a foam roller for extra help
These are a few common cycling injuries that might occur and a few Prevention of cycling injuries tips provided.
List to remember to avoid cycling injuries.
- Common cycling injuries occur due to incorrect riding postures and doing too much of cycling.
- The possibilities of cycling injuries involve collisions with other vehicles is very low or falling from a bicycle or hitting a stationary object is also very low.
- Children, particularly those of primary school age, are most at risk of bicycling injury.
Sanrocycles provides bicycle on rent in Pune and Pimpri-Chinchwad. Bicycles can be provided at your doorstep. Bicycle on rent in Pune and Pimpri Chinchwad starts from only 39 Rs per day if booked for a month. Explore a variety of bicycles from our online portal. You can also purchase new cycles from our online store.
Content on the website is only for information purposes. Information about the service, treatment des not in any way support such therapy. Provided information and materials contained on this website are not intended complete guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product, or treatment described on the website. All readers are urged to seek advice from doctors in case of any injury. Please consult and check-in case with a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. Sanrocycles will not bear any liability by any user or reader on the content on this website.